Saturday, May 21, 2011

Great Gospel Reading: Latter-day Prophets

This week we feature another great list of recommended books from the sisters in our Relief Society. These follow a theme on our latter-day prophets, some books written by them, others written about them. Enjoy!

BY OUR PROPHETS…

The Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
“I can't ever learn enough about the Atonement.  Forgiveness is one of those principles I associate with big sins, but this book is a reminder to me that I must repent every day.  It helps me to recognize my weaknesses without damaging my self-esteem or making me feel overwhelmed with my imperfections.  On the contrary, it makes very real the gift of eternal life through repentance and the Atonement of my Savior Jesus Christ.”

Way To Be and Standing For Something by President Hinckley
“I love these books because both of them show how simple it really is to live the gospel and to be happy.  Many times I get sooooo busy with what life throws at us, with kids, church, school, etc… that I need to simply be reminded that I just need to “Be” a faithful daughter of my Heavenly Father and I can do whatever is asked of me.”

ABOUT OUR PROPHETS…

Go Forward with Faith: The Biography of Gordon B. Hinckley by Sheri L. Dew  
“The way in which Sheri Dew shares the life of the prophet is less factual and more inspiring.  She shares his development in a way that inspires me to try to be a better person and to live my life more like the Savior.”

To the Rescue: The Biography of Thomas S. Monson by Heidi S. Swinton
“Heidi Swinton shares the life of the prophet in a way that helps you know him better and understand who he is.  I felt more of a connection to the prophet after reading this biography than I did beforehand.  His life story inspires me to want to reach out to the individual more in the way that the Savior teaches us to.”

No comments:

Post a Comment