Sunday, July 25, 2010

Healthy Eating -- Brought to you by Lisa M.

Everyone eats therefore everyone is his or her own nutritionist. Would you agree with that statement? How do you know if you are eating a healthy diet?

One simple tool that most dietitians use to teach healthy eating is the plate method. If you think of your plate, half of your plate should consist of non-starchy vegetables! That equals about two to three servings of vegetables. The other half of the plate should be divided between meats and starches that include a small amount of fat. Then add a small serving of fruit and a serving of milk or yogurt to round out the meal. Does your lunch and dinner meal look like this most of the time? If you are not eating this way, then you would want to make changes in your eating habits to move closer to this pattern of eating.

As your own nutritionist do your body a favor; review what you eat, what you need to change and get started! Here are a couple of excellent websites for balanced, healthy eating:

http://www.mypyramid.gov/
http://www.nutrition.gov/
http://www.eatright.org/

Check them out!

----------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Lisa for her contribution this week!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information. My problem is always knowing what my caloric intake can be when I'm nursing. I see numbers for that online- but not what I can reduce them to if I'm trying to lose weight while nursing, or how much is OK. I can usually figure things out when I stop but until then I tend to be in state of limbo and uncertainty.

    As a note of interest- I have a set of dishes that I love that I found at a garage sale several years ago. The set is from the 1950's. It's amazing to me how much smaller those plates are than my contemporary set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just catching up with your blog after having been gone a bit. Thanks for enriching our lives with amazing information. I can't wait to see what else you have to share with us!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this information on healthy eating! We feel so much better when we eat this way!
    Thanks,
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete