Sunday, March 20, 2011

My Best Kept Secret

Every time we switch to a new focus area, I have the two months planned out (more or less) in advance and follow it each week. This week I had planned one topic, but I'm going to wait on that one because I just can't wait to share this with you! It's my best kept secret for scripture study and improving my own gospel literacy. Here it is:

The LDS Scripture Citation Index

Don't be scared off! This is not nearly as intimidating as it may sound. And I know you'll find it to be a wonderful resource.

What is it? Basically, someone at BYU decided to start and fund an ongoing project to cross-reference all the scriptures mentioned in General Conference. They've gone back as far as 1942! So all you have to do is go to any verse of scripture, click on it, and you will find ALL the general conference talks that have used it! WOW! They've also recently added all the scripture references from the Journal of Discourses and the Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. And if there is a certain general authority you have in mind, you can tell which of the talks were by which general authority.

Why do I love this index? Three reasons:
  1. If I get to a scripture and I have questions about its meaning, I can go to the General Conference talks to see how it used in context by general authorities who are specifically given the keys to interpret and expound on these subjects. Wonderful! This helps my own personal understanding of scripture and the personal inspiration and revelation I receive from them.
  2. If I am reading a verse I usually understand in one way, I can glean NEW insights and ideas from seeing how the scripture has been used in varying talks on different topics.
  3. If I feel I'm getting stagnant or stuck in a particular book of scripture, this always jump starts me, giving me food for thought and new ways to consider the passages I am studying. There's no such thing as the same old thing!And since I love to feast on General Conference talks, this is the perfect meld of the two.
Bottom line? I hope you will check it out!  Add it as a bookmark, and visit often when you're in need of a little extra inspiration. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What a great resource! I've never heard of it and look forward to checking it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just used the citation index to help me understand 1 Nephi4:10. I will be forever grateful to you Susannah. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete